Afternoon tea really has to be one of the best aspects of a catered chalet. There’s nothing better than coming off the slopes and having a good slice of cake and a cup of tea, or even a glass of wine! We have found that by far the most popular of our cakes (and Jo’s personal favourite) is the Lemon Drizzle cake, so why not recreate a relaxing afternoon with our recipe for the perfect Lemon Drizzle?
Recipe cuts into 12 pieces
For the cake
- 225g soft butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 275g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
For The drizzle
- 50ml lemon juice & 2 tbsps caster sugar – mixed
For The Icing
- 50ml lemon juice
- 200g icing powder, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180 o C. Grease and line a 30 x 23 cm roasting tin with greased greaseproof paper.
- Measure all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes until well blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top. Bake in a preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the cake has shrunk from the sides of the tins a little and springs back when pressed in the center with your fingertips.
- Make lots of pin pricks in the top of the cake using a skewer & drizzle the juice & sugar mix all over the cake. Leave to cool in the tin. Once the cake is cooled, then remove it from the tin.
- Mix together the lemon juice and icing sugar to give a spreadable but quite thick consistency. Spread evenly over the cake.